Did you recently undergo breast surgery in the Jacksonville area? Despite North Carolina having some of the most renowned surgeons in the field, the recovery process for breast surgeries can be time-consuming and uncomfortable.
There are ways to heal without compromising your health and comfort. Read on to learn top breast care center tips for healthy surgical aftercare practices, and to help you maximize your healing process.
How can I minimize pain after breast surgery?
If you’re dealing with post-operative pain, you’re not alone. There are many ways that you can minimize pain as you recover from your surgical procedure. Methods and tips include:
- Asking for help. Communicating with your doctor is always a good idea, as they can support and monitor you through the healing process. They may also be able to prescribe you a painkiller to help get you through the more painful (and active) parts of your day.
- Using ice. Using an ice pack can be helpful to numb the inflammation around the surgical site, and offer you temporary relief. You can do this for several minutes at a time, but be sure to give yourself breaks.
- Taking time to rest. Overuse and strain is a common culprit for postoperative pain. Reduce your exercise and take the time to rest, avoiding any activity near the surgical site(s). This includes rigorous use of your arms, upper body, abdominal cavity, and chest area.
Can I speed up the breast surgery healing process?
While there isn’t such a thing as rushing through a surgical recovery period, you can support your body’s natural healing processes during recovery. Suggestions include:
- Proper sleeping posture. You’ll want to avoid laying on your side or on your chest, as this can cause discomfort and damage to the healing surgical site(s). You can choose to sleep reclined in a chair, or flat on your back to minimize pain.
- Wearing supportive clothing. Opt for soft-sided bras and gentle supportive garments over the harsher-fitting or underwire-support bras. This can avoid excessive inflammation and pain around your chest area.
- Watch what you eat. Food is fuel! There’s no perfect food to help the healing process, but eating a balanced, well-rounded diet is essential to support your body’s natural ability to heal.
Where can I find breast surgery support?
Looking for the best breast care center in the Jacksonville area? Connect with the experts at Carolinas Center for Surgery in Morehead City and Jacksonville. Our team is here to support you through your health journey, and can assist you through every point in the healing process. For more information, please visit our website, or call (252) 247-2101 to make an appointment. We look forward to speaking with you!