Minimally invasive laser spine surgery is a commonly practiced procedure, but many people don’t know what it entails. If you’re a candidate for spinal surgery or you know someone who is, you owe it to yourself to understand this procedure and the benefits it offers.
What You Should Know About Laser Spine Surgery
Laser spine surgery has been practiced since the 1980s. During the procedure, surgeons use a beam of light (laser technology) to make a small incision and remove soft tissues over the spine. The laser device can heat, vaporize, and coagulate soft tissue structures that cause compressions on your nerves. This innovative technology allows for extremely precise and, as previously mentioned, minimally invasive surgery.
Who Needs Laser Spine Surgery?
Laser spine surgery is most commonly recommended to patients suffering herniated or ruptured disks. If you have scar tissue or soft tissue compressing a nerve, the laser can remove the compression.
Minimally invasive laser spinal surgery has a variety of different benefits, including:
- Reduced risk of infection: smaller surgical incisions result in smaller risks of infection post-surgery.
- Reduced risk of muscle damage: Since there is either minimal or no muscle cutting during the surgery, there is a highly reduced risk of muscle damage.
- Faster recovery: Reduced blood loss, smaller incisions, and no muscle cutting drastically lowers the recovery time of patients.
- Minimal hospital time: Typically, an individual receiving minimally invasive spinal surgery is not in the hospital longer than 2 days.
- Reduced scarring: You can expect better cosmetic results and minimal scarring.
Schedule a Consultation for Laser Spine Surgery in Jacksonville, NC
Get quality minimally invasive laser spine surgery at our surgical center in Jacksonville or Morehead City, NC. Our healthcare specialists make use of the Mazor X Robotic Spine Surgery system, which you can read more about in our previous blog post.
Schedule an appointment to see if this procedure is right for you. You can also contact us at (252) 247-2101 if you have questions about our treatment options. Visit Dr. Ashraf Guiurges’s website for more details.