Making the decision to pursue weight loss surgery is a big step. When you come into the Carolinas Center for Surgery, you’ll have the opportunity to meet with a surgeon and ask any questions you might have. Together, you can decide whether bariatric surgery is right for you and, if it is, which type would be the best option.
Questions to Ask Your Weight Loss Surgeon
- What are the different types of bariatric surgery?
- Do you think I’m a good candidate for weight loss surgery?
- Are there other ways to lose weight that might work better for me?
- How much weight can I expect to lose?
- Is there a possibility I might gain weight after the surgery?
- How will the procedure affect the way I eat?
- What are the potential complications and side effects of surgery?
- How will surgery affect my other health conditions, such as high blood pressure or diabetes?
- Is there anything I can do now to lower the risks associated with this surgery?
- How long will the surgery last?
- Will I have anesthesia?
- What will recovery from surgery be like?
- What can I expect the pain level to be?
- How soon will I be able to get up, move around, and exercise?
- When can I return to work?
- What can I expect emotionally and mentally?
- Do I need to make any arrangements for my house while I recover from surgery?
- Will there be scars? What will they look like?
- Will I need a second surgery to remove sagging skin?
- Does my health insurance cover this procedure?
- Do you have a lot of experience working with patients similar to me?
Prepare for Your Consultation
Prior to your consultation with the surgeon, start thinking about some of these questions and how the answers might impact your life both short-term and long-term. Print out this list and bring it with you, or jot down the questions that resonate most with you on a piece of paper. It might help to bring a friend or family member — they might think of additional questions to ask.
Ready to consult a surgeon and explore your weight loss surgery options? Call (252) 247-2101 to schedule a consultation today. We have offices in Jacksonville, Morehead City, and Swansboro, NC.